Re: How to install perl modules?

The manual install method is *USUALLY*

Decompressing and unpacking is best done in a temporary directory somewhere, can usually be done with

cd /tmp
tar xzvf yourmodule.tar.gz

For a global install (for which Root privilages are needed) do the following:

perl Makefile.PL

For a local install, say into a home directory or some other location:

>perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/my/perl_directory

Then build, test and install the module

make
make test
make install

This is usually covered in the README of the package you down load. And I say *USUALLY* because there are a handful of packages that don't follow this install convention and do their own thing, again check for a README.

Regards,
Jason

Manuel Tejada wrote:

Thanks to you and the other people for the answer.

Unfortunatly I don't have Internet-like programs
installed (as lynx, wget, ncftpget, ncftp, etc) in my
cygwing, so I can't use the -MCPAN or just de command
cpan. I don't intend to install those programs to
avoid my cygwin get bigger.

I can download the modules from CPAN using the
Internet program from Windows and save them in the
hard disk.
The correct question would be this:
Can I install the modules manually?
If yes, How, and what must I have in consideration?

--- Jason Pearce <jason.pearce@ieee.org> escribió:

Yes, use the CPAN module as Brian suggests. Just
make sure environment variable PERLIO is unset when using -MCPAN,
otherwise it will fail. (You might set this to CRLF for DOS compatibility
purposes).
Also be aware that you may have trouble building
some modules that use C code and have not been ported to Cygwin, mainly OS
modules like WIN32. Straight Perl modules should just work out of the
box, and CPAN will get all pre-requisites for you too. You'll never want
ppm again!

Regards,
Jason

Brian Dessent wrote:

Manuel Tejada wrote:

Somebody can tell me from what URL I must to

download

a perl module and how to install it in Cygwing?

You use CPAN. "perl -MCPAN -e 'install Foo::Bar'"

or "perl -MCPAN -e

shell". There is no URL to know, it takes care of

all of that.

http://cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html

In pure Windows is easy is you have Perl from
ActiveState but Perl installed in Cygwin doesnt

have

the ppm Manager.

To me (and perhaps others) that's a feature and not

a bug. I can't

stand that ppm junk.

Brian

Manuel TEJADA M.