Re: Attention libtool maintainer: Re: `make install' of glib fails

Franz Haeuslschmid <lukrez@gmx.at> writes:

> "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> writes:
>
>> Franz Haeuslschmid wrote:
>>
>>> After having managed to actually make the latest version of glib,
>>> `make install' fails and spits out an error message that I don't
>>> understand (excuse the mass of lines):
>
> [... Output of make showing messages of undefined references ...]
>
>>> Once again: any ideas?

[...]

>> You're linking against the old glib2 library, another libtool bug.
>> I thought that this was fixed in the latest release?  Again, which
>> version of libtool are you using now?  Is it the one from the Cygwin
>> mirrors or do you have compiled your own version?  Charles, wasn't
>> that included in the 1.5 release branch?
>>
>> BTW, 1.5.18 is out: http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

[... Download of latest libtool ...]

> When I remove the libtool package using cygwin's `setup.exe', I
> can't use autoreconf:
>
> haeuslsc@pan ~/Src/glib-2.6.4
> $ autoreconf --install --force --verbose

[... Warning messages of autoreconf ...]

> configure.in:456: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_DISABLE_STATIC
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.in:457: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
> configure.in:458: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> autoreconf: /usr/autotool/devel/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

I now know that these messages indicate that macros cannot be
found by `aclocal'. The command `aclocal --print-ac-dir' shows
for me

  /usr/autotool/devel/share/aclocal

including one file, `dirlist' which in turn originally only
contained the reference to one directory containing macros, I
presume the default directory:

  /usr/share/aclocal

I then extended the file for one line, in order to include the
macros of the version of libtool, that I had locally
compiled. With new prerequisites, glib compiled without any
problem.

To summarize: to make and install `glib', my system needed the
latest stable version of `libtool'. The version that comes
precompiled with cygwin must be uninstalled. (Maybe it suffices
if `aclocal' finds the correct macro definitions -- is it a
question of order of the directories listed in `dirlist'?)
Additionally, `aclocal' had to be informed of the new macro
definitions.

Franz.