gdb attach hangs

Hi,

I have compiled gnome-panel in debug mode. I try to
attach to it with gdb, it just hangs like this:
-------
$ gdb /usr/bin/gnome-panel.exe
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) attach 3756
Attaching to program `/usr/bin/gnome-panel.exe',
process 3460
-------

this also hangs:

---------
$ gdb /usr/bin/gnome-panel.exe
GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x406298: file main.c, line 49.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/gnome-panel.exe

---------

I have re-installed gdb along with its direct deps
(ncurses, tcltk, libiconv) several times. I am using
cygwin 1.5.13.

Anybody seen anything like this before. I can't seem
to debug many programs built with debug symbols. Its
able to set the breakpoint but it just doesn't start
the program.

Thanks for your help,
-Sunil