Re: How to have libpcap

On Sun, 29 May 2005, Alireza Ghasemi wrote:

> Hello,
> Many programs need LibPcap to be built.But when compiling it,it says things
> about "packet capture type" that I don't know how to port them to cygwin.
> Is any way to solve this problem and compile libpcap or a ported version of
> this?

The first step is to check whether there's an official libpcap package for
Cygwin.  The Cygwin Package search page at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>
doesn't return any useful matches for "pcap", so the answer to that is
"no".

The second step is to do a Google search for "cygwin libpcap" and notice
that the first result refers to something called "WinPcap".  Scrolling
down on that same Google results page gets you to the WinPcap ChangeLog
page, which states, among other things:

	wpcap.dll has been updated to libpcap 0.8.3 from
	<http://www.tcpdump.org>.

The third step is to build WinPcap under Cygwin.  If your application
works correctly, and modulo any license issues, you may want to offer to
maintain a Cygwin libpcap package.  See <http://cygwin.com/setup.html> for
information on how to contribute.
	Igor
P.S. Your spacebar key seems to be malfunctioning again...
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT