Re: Drop Win9x support? (was: Serious performance problems)

One wouldn't have to suffer much in performance...
see http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-06/msg00087.html.

Dynamic library linking is relatively cheap -- cheaper if the
user has the option to pre-install the lib for their OS-flavor.

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Just a datapoint. WinXP does *not* run all the programs that Win9x does.

There are ways around it, but some of the old DOS stuff interacts much
better with 9x, especially those that need to manipulate the video
framebuffer directly.  I'm not saying that Cygwin programs do that, but
this is one of the reasons to keep 9x around, and I, for one, do use
Cygwin on my old 9x machine.  And I would like to see the new features in
that Cygwin installation (the biggest problem, of course, isn't Cygwin
features per se, but packages -- the newly built ones require newer Cygwin
versions).

Again, IMO, it would be ok to make Win9x functionality slower, external to
the Cygwin DLL, etc, etc, but I don't think dropping it altogether is a
good idea.
Igor