Re: Problem with pthreads (serious memory leaks)

Hi Chris,

How many times can we do this dance ? he he he he :)

The code given is as simple as its gonna get. This is the same
code used by Thomas Pfaff and by YOU to fix previous memory
leaks found in cygwin :)

OK in simple terms this is what I see: I run example1 and
open up my taskmanager and taskinfo and slowly watch the
amount of memory example1 is using increase continuously.

I then focus on taskinfo (because it gives a more detailed
view), and examine the the different aspects of the application
running (the threads, the loaded modules etc...). Now I know
just as well as anyone else that because say a program crashes
in a standard lib routine, doesn't mean the routine is buggy.
Most likely data fed into it has been corrupted etc (especially
in a threaded environment)....

In any case I've provided my analysis lacking as it may be it
is nonetheless worthy a second review (at least) is it not? ;)

Kind regards

Arash Partow __________________________________________________ Be one who knows what they don't know, Instead of being one who knows not what they don't know, Thinking they know everything about all things. http://www.partow.net

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:37:14AM +0000, Arash Partow wrote: >I'm encountering some memory leaks when using pthreads under cygwin. >As usual the code has been compiled/run on other *nixes (openbsd3.7, >netbsd2.0 and mandrake10.1) and the leak does not seem to occur. > >The system specs are as follows: > >1.) gcc 3.3.3 >2.) cygwin dll, snapshots as of: > 3/6, 1/6, 28/5, 24/5 > (all produce the same result - haven't test earlier version to > see where the break comes from.) >3.) WinXP Pro SP2 and WinXP Pro 64 SP1 >4.) Dual AMD 64 4k >5.) 4 gig RAM > > >Example code can be found here: > >url: >http://www.partow.net/downloads/producer-consumer-source.zip > > >To make and run do the following > >make all > >./example1 > >using taskmanager or sysinternals or taskinfo one can see that >there is a huge amount of memory being leaked within cygwin1.dll

How would you come to the conclusion that something is being "leaked"?

You'll probably going to have to:

1) Use precise language to describe your problem.

2) Produce a simple(r) test case which demonstrates it.

...if you truly want this fixed.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think
that anyone is going to want to debug a large application to figure out
what or if the problem is.

cgf