Re: Login & Something diff since cygwin 1.5.15-1 release - could it be security changes that were made

On Jun  1 13:22, Brian Keener wrote:
> I realize that login is not the normal mode of access for most Cygwin users and
> that most use simply the cygwin.bat to start one of the shells.  I have my
> cygwin.bat set to run login.exe which then runs the appropriate shell based on
> the login I use - actually it starts several login sessions and depending on
> the login I use (each unique to Cygwins passwd file ) it will run a different
> shell (IE briank runs bash, briankt runs tcsh, briankz runs zsh).
>
> This also keeps some one who sits down at my machine from accidentally
> accessing my cygwin install without knowing one of my logins or passwords.
>
> Up until 1.5.15-1 this worked perfectly and with 1.5.15-1 and since this has
> changed.  Login runs but no matter what login or password I use - I am told it
> is an incorrect login.  Simply rolling back to 1.5.14-1 corrects this and all
> works as expected.  I notice in the release for 1.5.15-1
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2005-04/msg00022.html
>
> that there were several security changes (or at least what I perceive to be
> security changes) and wonder if this could have affected my use of login.  Or
> was the fact my use of login worked a fluke and that has since been corrected.

There were a couple of security changes in recent releases.  What about
1.5.17?  Does it solve your problem?  I just tried using login using
my own account and it works correctly.  You should carefully inspect
your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files because recent changes are more
sensitive to wrong entries, especially in relation to group settings.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.