Mysterious problem

Hello,
I have some eccentric problem with building source packages in cygwin.It
began from tar-1.13.18.it compiled correctly and exe was built.but when
operating,all produced .tar files were empty!!Whereas binary tar package in
cygwin mirror had no problem.
Another one was grep.I built v2.4.2 and installed it with no problem.but
when operating,some source packages were not configured and said "grep:lseek
not found".I changed grep into one in cygwin mirror and problem was solved.
Now I don't know what to say.Do you do magic things when porting packages?!
Thanks.