Re: Running cygwin service via cygrunsrv under account without password in Win XP Pro - impossible?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 3:32 AM
Subject: Re: Running cygwin service via cygrunsrv under account without password in Win XP Pro - impossible?

This happens only if my account has no password. Once I set any password -
it works great. Autossh starts under cygrunsrv as a service under my
account and sets all my ssh tunnels and everything works perfect. I remove
password, then try every possible way to tell Windows to run it under
account without password - no luck. Error 1069 again and again.

This could be a result of a setting in your local security policies. Under Securiy Settings/Local Policies/Security Options you'll find a setting called "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank password to console logon only." This setting only exists on XP and 2K3 and is enabled by default (at least with recent service packs). Disable it and try again.

You solved it, thanks a lot!

Could you please add a short notice about this feature in cygrunsrv.README?
This would save someone quite a bit of time. Why didn't I look at those local security policies before? One sentence, just one sentence in cygrunsrv.README could really save my poor neck...