Re: Unicode in filenames support?

Shaddy Baddah wrote:

Hi,

Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) wrote:

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Not that I know of. We're discussing to convert Cygwin's path
handling to use Unicode for a while now, but it will take time. Don't expect this any time soon.

I've been off of the developer list for a while now, and
now the archives are subscriber only. :-(

How are you thinking about doing this?

I too am interested in the discussion. I looked into the associated code recently, even going so far as looking into the source to see what Sun Java 1.5.0 does in this area.

It may be relevant to know that Unicode support was added, for at least
the java.awt.FileDialog class, under the Windows JVM, between 1.4.2 and
1.5.0. Support for the Microsoft Layer for Unicode (unicows.dll) dll is
was also added (and the dll distributed with the binary package).

Are the cygwin developers contemplating support for this dll as well?

On an aside, I respect the policy on the developers mailing list being
subscriber only, but I disagree with the "there is no middle ground"
principal when it comes to read-only access to the mailing list.

Theorising that the reason for it is read-only access would encourage an
increase in "add me please" requests to the list. Is that such a big
price to pay?

Regards,
Shaddy

Nope, that's not a big price at all. The big price is when you tire CGF, the man behind this all.

Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.
www.astra.ph