Re: PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT different for cygwin v.s. linux.

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:29:46PM -0700, Peter Rehley wrote:
>On Jun 8, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Thomas E. Zerucha wrote:
>
>>I have a problem similar to that of:
>>
>>http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-05/msg01400.html
>>
>>I have an old system that I'm trying to port that uses pthreads, but
>>doesn't set the attribute, and a non-owner thread will destroy the
>>thread in a deallocate routine, but this won't happen (it won't
>>actually destroy the thread).
>>
>>The problem is that (in pthread.h) PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT is .._NORMAL
>>on linux, the system was originally written for.  It works but
>>eventually dies when it runs out of threads or mutexes or something
>>since it can't recycle.  PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT is .._ERRORCHECK on
>>cygwin.
>>
>>It would be painful to add a whole section to create an attribute
>>structure just to set this to be the same as linux.
>
>If you look at the test case you will see a line that says
>mutex=PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;
>
>This causes the program to use the default (ERRORCHECK) mutex.  To get
>a normal mutex, you can use mutex=PTHREAD_NORMAL_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP;
>
>However, in the test case when NORMAL is used, the mutex never gets
>unlocked because the signal SIG_CHLD doesn't get to the parent.

FWIW, I've changed the default for PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER to
PTHREAD_NORMAL_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP in CVS.  Last night I also tried to
implement handling for interrupting mutexes based on Corinna's
explanation of what your patch did.

Both of these changes are in the current snapshot.

cgf