Re: Re :Re: apache start problem

Brian Dessent wrote, On 06/07/2005 06:58 AM:
Alireza Ghasemi wrote:

1.I have never tried to create any username in Cygwin (Because I don't know
how!).Also,I haven't given any username to apache.just I typed "apachectl
start".How can I create a username in cygwin?
2.I have a very weak dial-up internet connection and downloading files with
sizes more than 3..4 MB is difficult for me.so I prefer compiling source
packages in my SuSe8.0 Cd's rather than downloading binaries from internet.

Cygwin does not have 'users' of its own.  Cygwin uses the user accounts
in Windows.  To add a user to Cygwin, create that user using the normal
Windows methods.

But this is not required at all.

In unix the unprivileged user account is typically named 'nobody'.  In
Windows, it's typically Guest.  So, just change your httpd.conf to use
Guest.  But really you should just comment that out alltogether because
the preferred way to run Apache is via a service, not with apachectl.

I tried commenting out "User Guest" in httpd.conf and it would not start with cygrunsrv -S httpd. Also, account Guest (which I just created) would not work either. The only thing I could get to work (in Win2kPro) was to use my own account (administrative priv) in httpd.conf User field. What is the trick to getting Guest to work in win2k? When I did this in XP-home I "enabled" the dormant Guest account and it worked there when put in httpd.conf as User.

Unless you're using 9x or ME don't even touch apachectl.  Install the
service and use "net start"/"net stop" (or cygrunsrv) to start and stop
it.  In this case it will be running as the SYSTEM user.  The
Cygwin-packaged Apache documentation covers this.

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/apache-1.3.33.README? Mostly seems to be just a list of files. Is there a better cygwin related docu file?

<snip>

Brian