Re: Directory c:\%USERPROFILE% created

Hi,

i was wandering about strange folders created in the root directory of
my Cygwin-Enhanced PCs and found out
that everytime i start installer programs from within a cygwin shell, a
folder called %USERPROFILE% is created
in the base directory of the pc's harddisk.

Sure it's not something you're doing? The variable is certainly available when running the shell with cygwin.bat. And even when starting, say, tcsh directly from explorer, the variable is there, right in the environment.

I tested this again. After starting a "local" bash (local means i start
it via doubleclick from within windows) i can see a "USERPROFILE" env.-var.

If i do this in an bash started remotely (via sshd) i can't see it anymore.
So i think this variable comes from Explorer of whatever and is not initialized
within a ssh-shell session.
This is also reflected by "cygpath -D" which outputs "/cygdrive/c/%USERPROFILE%/Desktop".

I found no trace where this var is set, so please give me a hint.

Thanks,

Oliver Geisen
Systemadministrator
Kreisboten Verlag Mühlfellner KG