Re: displaying Windows program on Linux via ssh / X?

Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at mch dot one dot pl> wrote:

I couldn't find it on Google and I feel it's a different thing than
running Linux X applications (like xterm etc.), which is done by Cygwin/X.

Is it possible to "display" Windows program on Linux via ssh / X?

What I mean, normally we do something like that:

windows_cygwin$ ssh -l user linuxbox -X
linuxbox$ xterm

and we start xterm on Linux, but it is displayed by a Windows X server.

I want to do something in an opposite direction: start Windows apps on
Linux display:

Well, if the target host is a dual boot Windows + Linux box, it is possible using ssh -X together with wine.

I just did that from WindowsME into another Windows box running Linux at the time. I used Cygwin (weel, this mailing list is about Cygwin, isn't it?)
From Windows prompt:

bash
startx
ssh -x target_host
cd /wherever_your_C_disk_is/windows
wine freecel.exe

A nice screenshot of remotely run Freecell is here:
http://www.iopan.gda.pl/~piskozub/freecell-from-Linux-thru-cygwin-and-X-on-WinME.jpg

Of course I could start from Linux but that would have nothing to do with this mailinig list, would it?

Regards,

Jacek

--
"Microsoft tried to create products that even a fool could use, but they ended up with something that only a fool would want to use."
            F.W. van Wensveen, 2004