Re: Problem with using stripped cygwin1.dll built from CVS

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 10:30:55AM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:29:48AM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>>>I wish I would have known this was possible while working on DWARF 2
>>>debugging.  Everything I read stated: "If it has a section header,
>>>Windows' brain dead loader will load it regardless of section
>>>attributes".  I hope it really works on all supported platforms.
>>
>>It's a documented field in PE's section header, so I don't see why it
>>wouldn't work.  The only brain-dead thing that the loader does is to go
>>ahead and load a section into memory if it is marked as readable or
>>writable as well as noload.
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>By it, can I assume you meant IMAGE_SCN_TYPE_NOLOAD?

Actually, I was talking about IMAGE_SCN_TYPE_DISCARDABLE and
IMAGE_SCN_TYPE_REMOVE.

See:
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils-cvs/2005-06/msg00084.html
and
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils-cvs/2005-06/msg00087.html

for the binutils changes.

FWIW, MSVC's dumpbin program now says this about the sections:

  .
  .
  .
  SECTION HEADER #B