Re: rxvt 2.7.10-6: bash Control-C exits all backgrounded children rxvt processes as well as foreground process/command

HOw about using a trap on sig TERM?  Have it do something harmless
or ignore it

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:47:38AM -0700, jxshea@regence.com wrote:

> I have some wrappers to invoke a telnet or an ssh within an rxvt window so
> that I can label it with the host I'm connecting to.  I love rxvt because
> it has real vt emulation, and also gives me X-like middle mouse cut and
> paste operations that I'm used to from my Sun environment, but all without
> the overhead of running X.  However, a really annoying and quite hazardous
> artifact of rxvt in cygwin is that it will grab the control-Cs sent from
> the parent bash session and close down.  Unfortunately, pings, by default
> are unlimited in iteration and so must be killed when you're done with it
> and also, I'm in the habit of using control-C to quit a command line in
> progress to get back to a prompt.
>
> Unless I remember to to start a new bash window to do anything where I
> might send a Control-C, I end up clobbering the 20 odd telnet/ssh sessions
> I have up, some of which could contain important processes that are
> difficult to recover from being terminated.
>
> Any advice on
>
> 1)  Whether this is an issue with bash or rxvt or both?
> 2)  Any workarounds i.e.- application flags for rxvt or bash that I can
> code in to avoid this behavior.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jackson Shea
> cygwinquery@joethefish.com
>
> ==================================
> ==      wrapper scripts         ==
> ==================================
>
> telnet script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/bash
> echo "telnet $1" > /tmp/cmdfile.$$
> chmod a+x /tmp/cmdfile.$$
> rxvt -sl 2000 -fn 9x18 -fg yellow -bg black -title $1 -e /tmp/cmdfile.$$ &
> sleep 5
> rm /tmp/cmdfile.$$
>
> ssh script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/bash
> echo "telnet $1" > /tmp/cmdfile.$$
> chmod a+x /tmp/cmdfile.$$
> rxvt -sl 2000 -fn 9x18 -fg yellow -bg black -title $1 -e /tmp/cmdfile.$$ &
> sleep 5
> rm /tmp/cmdfile.$$
>
> (See attached file: cygcheck.out)
> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb