Bash behavior change 2.05b-17 vs 2.05b-16

Greetings,

I recently updated my Cygwin installation from version 1.5.11-1 to 1.5.17-1.
As I did so, I also updated all of my packages, including updating Bash from
version 2.05b-16 to version 2.05b-17.

After updating, a Bash script that I use for backing up my computer using
WinZip failed to operate.  After some debugging, I concluded that the
behavior of Bash when calling the WinZip command-line executable had
changed.  Specifically, the treatment of the backslash '\' when launching
executables seems to have changed.  Version 2.05b-17 seems to no longer
accept '\' in the path name of an executable, even when protected or
escaped.

I can duplicate this behavior at the command prompt by attempting to launch
the executable using any of the commands:

$ d:\\winzip\\wzzip.exe
$ 'd:\winzip\wzzip.exe'
$ "d:\winzip\wzzip.exe"

which in version 2.05b-17 now yield the error "bash: d:\winzip\wzzip.exe:
command not found".  However, in version 2.05b-16 these commands would cause
Bash to launch the executable.

Interestingly, I can use backslashes for other Bash commands, such as cd.
For instance:

$ cd d:\\winzip
$ cd 'd:\winzip'
$ cd "d:\winzip"

all work OK.  And of course, using forward slashes '/' instead of the
backslashes works fine too.

I have looked thru the FAQ, the release notes for Bash, and searched this
mailing list.  However, I cannot find any mention of this issue.  I would
appreciate it if someone could independently confirm that this is an actual
issue, or provide an explanation if possible.

I have attached the output of 'cygcheck -s -v -r' for my system.  Please let
me know if I need to provide more info.  Thank you.

* Victor Atkinson
* Syracuse, NY, USA
* atkinson@syrres.com