Shell not responding to ctrl+c

Hello

Usually in a unix shell when ctrl+c is pressed the processes currently
being run is termianted.

Recently my harddrive failed and I had to rebuild everything
(including cygwin, so all old settings are gone) but for some reason
with this most recent version, the shell (Bash) does not terminate any
processes when ctrl+c is pressed.

This seems like such a silly problem, but I'm not sure exactly where
and how the behavior of keyboard shortcuts is specified.

I'm not sure if this is a Bash issue, or a Cygwin issue ... or maybe
I'm doing something incredibly stupid.

Thoughts appreciated

Mike