Re: Proposed FAQ in DocBook

On 8/4/05, Larry Hall  wrote:
> At 01:15 AM 8/4/2005, you wrote:
> >You can link to named sections, for example
> >http://staff.washington.edu/joshuadf/cygwin/new-faq.html#faq.install.disk-space
> >
> Just one question.  How does one determine what the names are for the
> named sections?  I assume each question has one but I'm not familiar
> enough with how DocBook works to know how to determine these names.

Yes, as noted they're in the HTML in <a name="..."> tags..., converted from
DocBook's id="..." There will of course be a Table of Contents with links so
you don't have to look at the HTML to determine this.

> Assuming this new style FAQ replaces the old, I'd recommend putting this
> one in a new spot and keeping the old, at least for a while, so that
> references to the old in the archive still work.

No problem, the old files are things like faq1.html, these will be
faq.using.html
and the like.

And, as someone else noted, it will be relatively easy to get .info files using
docbook2x (that's already done for the User's Guide).