Re: Is the Cygwin installation process likely to change significantly anytime soon?

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:21:14PM -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>
>> ... Therefore I'd like to know if there are plans to change the
>installation process in the near future. For example, it would be very
>helpful to know how stable the following features of the current
>installation process are:
>

>Thanks for all the responses to my initial inquiry!
>
>Here's what I've written so far; I'd like to know if there are any errors
>and how it might be improved. I discuss Cygwin in two places, which I've
>labelled "Installing Cygwin" and "Discussion of Cygwin and MinGW."
>
>Best Regards,
>Jonathan Turkanis
>
>**** Installing Cygwin ****
>
>To install Cygwin, go to the Cygwin homepage, www.cygwin.com, and follow
>the link "Install Cygwin Now" to download the Cygwin installation program
>setup.exe. Next, run setup.exe. It will ask you to make a series of
>choices, such as where Cygwin should be installed.
>
>---------------------------
>I'm explaining the Cygwin installation process in detail because it's a bit
>confusing. The process may have changed by the time you read this, but if
>it has, it will probably have been made easier.

I would prefer that you would not use the word "confusing" since it is a
charged word which really only indicates the state of the person doing
the writing.  Predisposing first-time users into thinking that
installation is "confusing" is not, IMO, a really good idea.  I'd prefer
something like "can be a little complicated depending on what you're trying
to install".

cgf