Re: bash is crashing

Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Cary Jamison on 8/5/2005 6:40 PM:
>>

>> It appears to be crashing here in the sleep.  It will go for just a
>> few loops around to several minutes before crashing.
>> What should I try next.  Maybe a strace?
>
> The collected strace would be huge, but may be the next step.  Try and
> pick out the tail end of the trace where the crash actually happens,
> rather than the entire trace.  But that will only point out what
> syscalls were being made prior to the crash.
>
> Actually, a better next step might be to build your own debugging
> version of bash, with symbols still compiled in, so that you can get
> a backtrace of the crash.  I'm still trying to reproduce your
> failure, with no success yet.

Ok, I may give that a try.  But, I'll be away from my office for the next
couple days, so it will be a while before I can report back.

Before I left on Friday I stripped out everything within the loop except for
the sleep, just to make sure there weren't any side affects of something
within the loop causing problems.  I forgot to do anything to see how long
it would run, but when I came it this morning it had also crashed.

If you can't reproduce this with such a simple test case I have to think
there is something else in my setup.

Cary