Re: Programatically finding value of "cygdrive" prefix

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:14:54PM -0500, Ken Dibble wrote:

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:01:43PM -0500, Ken Dibble wrote:

In my attempt to understand, can you tell me where (and why) this would fail?

mount -m | grep "mount -u" | tail -1 | awk '{print $5}'

It doesn't deal with imbedded spaces in the cygdrive prefix --
i.e., the point of this exercise.

If I read the man page correctly:

-m, --mount-commands
write mount commands to replace user and system mount points and
cygdrive prefixes

Since all this script does is take this output of mount -m and parse it....
Is "mount -m"  is broken then?

Am I not understanding the man page or am I so dense that I'm missing something?

Hint: What does "awk '{print $5}'" do?

Thanks. One of these years I will eventually understand when quotes cause an item with embedded spaces
to be a single item and when they get lost in processing, causing the embedded space item to be multiple items.

I apppreciate your  time.
Ken