Re: rlogin to xp home edition

> Hallo,
>
> (i hope this is the correct forum to this question)

Yep

> I have a XP home edition running using cygwin and the inetd package. I have
> created /etc/passwd and /etc/group as described. The only user (and there is
> only one at an XP home edition with usable privileges) is called otto. I can
> rlogin to this client using the account otto and his password. Everything
> okay.
>
> What I do not understand is: where do the strange uid and gid (e.g. mkpasswd)
> of the most files come from?

It means your /etc/passwd and /etc/group don't have all the necessary
information for the particular user; it is trying to tell you to run mkpasswd
and mkgroup again with more options.
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup

> Rlogin seems not to use passwd and gid and I can
> not force it to login with /bin/bash (which is defined in /etc/passwd). It
> always  comes up with /bin/sh (which does not understand any aliases and
> others).
>
> A drastic workaround at the moment is to symlink bash to sh.

Depending on how recent your installation is, /bin/sh IS already bash.

Hint: following these directions helps us help you.

Eric Blake