RE: OpenLDAP NT Service

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 kandryc@miser.umass.edu wrote:

Thanks Vince,

I was trying to do this, however, I can't find the documentation on how to add
the sysV init scripts as a service. I think you just add /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit as
a service using:

# cygrunsrv --install rc.sysinit --path /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit --disp "CYGWIN sysinit"

Is this correct?

Not quite. First make sure you have the sysVinit package installed, and you will also want the initscripts package, (both in ths system category) and read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/sysvinit.README

Vince

Quoting Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>:

However, when I start the service from either the services
console or with:

# cygrunsrv --start slapd

It will start and then stop after about 5 seconds. When
checking the
Application event log, I found this:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( slapd ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to
retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details.
The following information is part of the event: slapd : PID
2888 : slapd stopped.."

However, if I manually start it by using the following:

# /usr/sbin/slpad -h ldaps:///

It works fine. Anyone know the reson why it fails? Is there anyway
that it can be run from the init scripts?

Install the sysV init package and install that to run as a service. That way you can run all your cygwin daemons as you would under *nix, using init scripts. (You may have to write an init script of course as a lot of cygwin server programs expect to be run via cygrunserv not under init.) For slapd try this as /etc/rc.d/init.d/slapd ----------------start------------- #!/bin/bash # # Init file for slapd ldap server # # chkconfig: 345 35 65 # description: OpenLDAP server daemon # # processname: slapd # config: /etc/openldap/slapd.conf # pidfile: /var/run/slapd.pid

# source function library
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# pull in sysconfig settings
[ -f /etc/sysconfig/slapd ] && . /etc/sysconfig/slapd

RETVAL=0
prog="slapd"
SLAPD=/usr/sbin/slapd
PID_FILE=/var/openldap/run/slapd.pid
OPTIONS=""
# Some functions to make the below more readable

start()
{
        echo -n $"Starting $prog:"
        daemon $SLAPD $OPTIONS && success || failure
        RETVAL=$?
        [ "$RETVAL" = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/slapd
        echo
}

stop()
{
        echo -n $"Stopping $prog:"
        killproc $SLAPD -TERM
        RETVAL=$?
        [ "$RETVAL" = 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/slapd
        echo
}

reload()
{
        echo -n $"Reloading $prog:"
        killproc $SLAPD -HUP
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
}

case "$1" in
        start)
                start
                ;;
        stop)
                stop
                ;;
        restart)
                stop
                start
                ;;
        reload)
                reload
                ;;
        status)
                status $SLAPD
                RETVAL=$?
                ;;
        *)
                echo $"Usage: $0
{start|stop|restart|reload|condrestart|status}"
                RETVAL=1
esac
exit $RETVAL
(taken from some linux distro or the slapd tarball, I forget which)

Vince

Thanks!