Re: Windows hardening and system paths

Mikkel Rostock wrote:

> > whether you set the permissions and ownership of files correctly
> I haven't changed permissions for any files, since usually when I install it
> on Windows XP this is not necessary.
>
> > created the proper user accounts
> The service is set to use LocalSystem account

This will not work.  Under 2k3 you need to create a special user account
and give it extra permissions.  This is explained in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.  However, the details are not
important because all the user-creation and permission-setting is done
for you with the ssh-host-config script which I recommend you use.
Trying to do this by hand can be difficult.

> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
> Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
> Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
> sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

You have not created the host keys.  This is another task that
ssh-host-config will automate for you.  You probably don't have a
/etc/sshd_config file either.  I recommend that you remove all traces of
whatever you've done by hand to install the sshd service and instead run
the script.

Brian