permission inheritance issues - setgid bit broken?

I'm running a CVS server through Cygwin on an XP SP1 machine. I recently updated the cygwin dll, all related base files (especially those pertaining to ssh and cvs), and ran mkpasswd and mkgroup afterwards.

I'm trying to manage multiple repositories, and to do that I'd like newly created/updated files to inherit their permissions from the parent directory. Currently, the default permissions are set to what I'd like them to be (by tweaking the umask entry in /etc/profile), but the default group of any newly created file becomes the default group set by whatever's listed for the user in /etc/passwd. The problem is that I've chmod g+s throughout the directories, and so any new files should have as its group the group of the parent directory. Why isn't the setgid bit doing its job?

Also, the setgid bit isn't being inherited either (i.e. when I create a subdirectory on a directory that has +s, it doesn't receive the +s attribute, and so any files created within it won't receive the correct default group assignment). umask doesn't recognize the 's' attribute either, so I can't set it there.

Overall, I just want to ensure proper inheritance of permissions for files created in folders with a specific permissions set. Having the default group is important because the different repositories belong to different groups, while any given user can belong to any number of these groups (and have access to any number of repositories).

Thank you,
Erik Hammel