Re: building device drivers

Jason Pyeron wrote:

> I am building a windows device driver (libraw1394), now I want to do it
> using cygwin (port of Linux device driver). I assume I will need to
> statically link to cygwin libs.
>
> I am assuming the windows device drivers cannot have DLL dependencies.
>
> So can things be linked statically? If so an example, please?

I don't think that's really going to work.  Cygwin cannot be linked
statically and even if it could, it was not designed to run in kernel
space at all.  Cygwin does not try to emulate the linux kernel, just a
POSIX api.  So low level things like device drivers are not going to
just port over.  What you need to do is get the Windows DDK and write a
true windows driver for your device.  Then you can port the userland
tools using Cygwin and interface with the windows driver.

Brian