Diff and grep problems

I've trying to compare two files using diff from a .bat file :

diff -iX scripts/%2.ignorelist "%difffile1%" "%difffile2%"

The file is a cisco config file. A wc -l of the file tells me its over 500
lines long.

I'm using diff to compare an OLD file to a NEW one. Constantly a line changes value:
590c590
< ntp clock-period 17179951
---
> ntp clock-period 17179955

So I wanted to exclude the ntp line and I put it in the ignorelist.

The ignorelist contains:

clock-period
Last configuration change
No configuration change
NVRAM config last

But diff constantly returns the same result (file changed). What have I done wrong ??

I've also tried using grep as a precursor, but some basic grep tests seem to go wrong:

In this below example, I've a file "c.txt" with a single line, "ntp", and a copy of the config in a.txt You can see that a manual grep for ntp works, but when I try to use the file, it fails..

C:\backups\__cisco_backups>type c.txt
ntp

C:\backups\__cisco_backups>grep -e ntp a.txt
ntp clock-period 17179955
ntp source Vlan135
ntp server 135.86.68.147

C:\backups\__cisco_backups>grep --file=c.txt a.txt

C:\backups\__cisco_backups>grep --file=c.txt a.txt

Mobility Lab Support

*Postal:* Lucent Technologies, The Quadrant, Stonehill Green, Swindon, SN5 7DJ, UK
Phone: /*+44 1793 883361*/
Digital FAX: /+44 1793 883361/
Office FAX: /+44 1793 897969/

EMAIL/: *marsh@lucent.com <mailto:marsh@lucent.com>* /

* No legacy is so rich as honesty. -William Shakespeare *