redirecting /tmp and /var/tmp

Having had the Cygwin environment on several staff systems for some
time, we now desire to roll this out into classrooms but have hit a
problem.

For our classrooms, it is policy that all managed software be installed
on read-only drives / C: partitions to prevent students meddling.
However, for Cygwin to run it must have write access to /tmp and
/var/tmp.  Is there any way to 'redirect' these essentials from the
Cygwin home space onto, for example, C:/temp (which is the only part of
C: to which we permit our students write access)?

Many thanks,

Peter