IP_TOS possible bug?

I am having a trouble with setting IP_TOS.

Currently I am trying to send UDP packets with TOS parameter set to
something other than the default value of 0x00.

I am using cygwin version 1.5.17(0.129/4/2).

I have no problem sending a UDP packet if I do not call the following
function,

int rc = setsockopt( inSettings->mSock, IPPROTO_IP, IP_TOS, (char*) &tos,
len );

rc's value is 0 after the call, so it seemed to work fine, but I believe
this is what's causing the following error.

"write2 failed: Transport endpoint is not connected"

With some search around, I found that

#define	IP_TOS  3   /* old (winsock 1.1) value 8 */

So I tried this value (3 instead of 8), and now it does not give me the
previous problem
with "write2 failed: Transport endpoint is not connected", but it does not
seem to do
anything when I sniffed the IP packet with Ethereal.

Could anybody help me with this?  I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Yung