sshd install problems | WinXP Pro system

After 2-3 hours googling for insights, and thoroughly reading what was available, I've decided to stop beating my head against the wall, and ask here.

Basically, trying to get sshd installed as a service under WinXP Pro -SP2. Trying the install as a user who has full admin privelages on the system.

1. downloaded Cygwin - installed what I needed (cygrunsrv and openssh) in addition to the usual defaults. No muss, no fuss.

2. modifed the env variables by adding a variable named CYGWIN with value ntsec tty

3. added c:\cygwin\bin to the PATH

4. now is when the problems seem to start (I think)...when I run host-ssh-config, I get only one question - the one about 'privelage separation'. I answer 'yes' Thats it. No further questions - nothing about 'local user', or 'install sshd as a service', or the 'CYGWIN=' question.

Hmmm...

5. bring up a terminal window, and type

cygrunsrv --start sshd

Nada. After about 60 seconds of 'trying', it quits, and refuses to start. Reboot 10 or so times - find the sshd is sitting there as a service, but not started . Manual starts all fail.

6. Try chown and chmod for various files as mentioned on several Google sites. Nada. Still can't get sshd to start.

So, given that there must be at least several hundred hits on 'sshd won't start' on Google, seems as if this is a ubiquitous, and pernicious problem. Surely there has to be a simple solution.

suggestions? Pointers to solution? The machine is generic, vanilla, clean XP SP2. I'd have thought that the sshd install should have been about as straightforward as you could get, but no such luck.