Re: Cygwin and Ext2 IFS?

On Sep 22 14:30, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got an USB hard drive, and on this disk there is a ext3 filesystem.
> This filesystem is accessible under Windows XP using a software called
> Ext2 IFS for Windows.
>
> Does Cygwin work together with this software? Is it possible to mount
> this filesystem into cygwin in a way that cygwin uses symbolic links,
> permission flags, upper/lower-case filenames etc. that are stored on
> this file-system?

Probably not.  You can use every file system which can be accessed by
the underlying Windows also in Cygwin, but except for NTFS file systems,
the permission handling of the underlying file system drivers (here:
Ext2 IFS) is usually rudimentary at best.  As for upper/lower case handling,
I don't know.  It all depends on the driver.  It has nothing to do with
Cygwin.  However, Cygwin will by itself not enforce case sensitivity, but
just use the default which is usually to be case preserving.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.