Re: setup.exe 2.510.2.2, 2.427 and 2.457 consistently failing, on win2000, sp4

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 08:43:06PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > um.  very confused.  setup.exe in't setting anything up.
> >
> > i get a modal dialog at the end of the process saying
> > "set_cygdrive_flags" - the operation completed successfully.
> >
> > i check c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log and it is full of
> > io_stream_cygfile: fopen failed 2 No such file or directory,
>
> What about c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log.full?  It should have more
> information (in particular, the io_stream_cygfile messages should be
> preceded by the names of the files they correspond to).

  ah i believe i was looking at setup.log.full but of course windows
  removes the .full and for some _really_ weird reason every time i
  change the settings not to hide file extensions the settings are lost,
  so i've given up.

  yes, there isn't any filename listed - i did wonder why not.

> > presumably there is one such failure for every package that
> > was endeavoured to be installed from c:\cygfiles\release?
> >
> > i tried renaming the directory from the _awful_ name
> > c:\cygfiles\ftp%2feasynet.be%2arubbish%trash%2acygwin to
> > c:\cygfiles\release and then doing a "local" install.
>
> According to the directory name, you're using an FTP mirror.  There is an
> FTP timeout handling bug in setup, which I'm currently testing a fix for,
> that makes setup essentially give up on any FTP transfer when an FTP
> timeout happens.  Try using an HTTP mirror.

 i noticed that :)

 i managed to get all the files downloaded.

> As for the directory name, it shouldn't make a difference.
>
> > i've tried using c:/cygwin and c:/cygfiles/release instead of c:\cygwin
> > and c:\cygfiles\release.
>
> This won't make a difference.
>
> > i've tried deleting c:\cygwin after a download and re-entering all of
> > the questions (but of course specifying "local" install).
>
> And what happened?

 exactly the same thing.

> > i've tried (to my detriment because it is a one-way process
> > where i will never be able to reliably gain read-write access
> > to the drive, or recovery process on linux) converting the
> > filesystem from FAT32 to NTFS.
>
> Ouch.  You have my sympathies, though NTFS is a much more feature-rich
> filesystem that is better supported by Cygwin.  If you want to make sure
> you have read-write access to the drive, I suggest "taking ownership" of
> all files/directories you want to be able to write to.  Once the files are
> owned by you, you can change the ACLs appropriately.
>
> > i've tried setup.exe versions 2.510.2.2, setup 2.427, 2.457.
> >
> > not one of these things allows for a successful installation,
> > with every result the same: io_stream_cygfile failures.
> >
> > wtf is going on and what am i missing?
> >
> > guidance to a solution / things to try much appreciated.
>
> Please try an HTTP mirror.  If that doesn't work, please post
> c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log.full to this list.

 ack.

 i honestly don't believe it will make any difference: the
 files are already successfully downloaded, but i will try because i
 really want this to work: all other times that i have installed cygwin
 it has been successful and extremely useful.

 l.