Re: Windows 2000 gotchas?

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Debbie Tropiano wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I've been installing Cygwin in our computing lab and while the Windows XP
> installs have been fine, I've been getting some weird results on our
> Windows 2000 systems.  I read the FAQ, but was wondering if there are
> some gotchas for Windows 2000 that I've missed.

Exactly what weird results are you getting?  Could we have some details
here?

> Some extra pertinent info:
> 	Since it's a closed network, I downloaded the install, burned it
> 	to CD and have been running setup.exe after copying everything to
> 	the target system.

Did you search the archives for the gotchas of installing from CD?  In
particular, most setup versions will not work correctly if setup.ini and
the release/ directory are in the root of the CD -- put them one more
directory level down.  Also, there may be some path length limitations on
CDs (which may be reached by some deeper release directories).

>       The install seems to work OK, except that on
> 	the Windows 2000 systems only the bash icon shows up on the desktop
> 	even when selecting for all icons

Huh?  Do you mean "All Users"?  The only icon that's *ever* created on the
desktop by setup is the "Cygwin" icon that starts bash.  There is a
package that creates Start Menu icons for various applications, and setup
will create one for Cygwin, but the only one that goes on the desktop is
the one you call "bash".  Are you getting something else as well on XP?

>       (sometimes that query doesn't
> 	even come up at the end of the install tho').

Hmm, this is interesting.  Could you post c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log.full
from the install that did not bring up that query?  Did you get an
"Installation complete" message box at the end of that install?

> 	Since it's a lab, these are all shared systems.  Generally we're
> 	able to run startxwin.bat the first time with no problems, but the
> 	leftover file and directory under /tmp are a problem.

Please explain what "shared systems" means.  Is there *one* username
shared by all students, or does each student have their own username that
they use to log in?  If the former, I don't see why you have the problem
you describe.  If the latter, you can either do a "chmod 1777 /tmp" and
"chmod a+rwx /tmp/.X11-unix /tmp/XWin.log" to fix this (you can do this in
a custom postinstall script), or make a separate /tmp for each user (using
"mount").

> 	I am a *NIX admin, so not highly versed in Windows (but learning
> 	more and more everyday :-).

A lot of Cygwin's problems can be solved via pure *NIX means (like that
"chmod /tmp").  One gotcha is that Cygwin mounts aren't the same as Unix
mounts -- read the manpage carefully.
HTH,
	Igor
--