Re: IP_MULTICAST_IF et. all / Winsock[2] value conflict

On Sep 29 12:04, Brian Ford wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > There's no easy fix right now.  We have to drop all traces of Winsock1
> > in Cygwin and change the headers accordingly.
>
> Can't we just translate these based on a flag indicating what version we
> dynamically loaded?

Yes, in theory we can.  But that's hell.  The definitions in socket.h
wouldn't be static values anymore, they would have to be translated
into function calls to retrieve the right value at runtime.  That's
bound to break building applications which rely on getting constant
values.

Really, dropping Winsock1 entirely is the way to go.  Winsock2 is
available since Win98 and even for Win95, there's a Winsock2 available
for free on some Microsoft web page (should be in the Cygwin mailing
list archives somewhere).

So that's the next step to do in the networking code and, Brian,
while we're at it, some team work wouldn't hurt here.  I recall
that you have a copyright assignment in place.
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.