Re: cant set baud rate with stty

Peter Rehley wrote:

On Oct 8, 2005, at 4:33 PM, tns1 wrote:

Cygwin on WinXP

What version of cygwin are you using?

uname says CYGWIN_NT-5.1
cygcheck -c says 'no setup information found'
This is probably because this is a custom version of cygwin bundled with some cross-development tools (altera nios2). It does not live in \cygwin , and there are no packages, just binaries. I have already read on the cross-development forum that this custom version will not co-exist alongside a normal cygwin install, and I am wary of trying to update pieces of it since I wont be able to use the cygwin setup util to do so.

I am trying to redirect the IO from a terminal app to a serial port. $terminal_app > /dev/com5 Works but uses the wrong baud rate.

I am really after '$terminal_app<>/dev/com5' but this only redirects the input. Maybe this is just not possible in the shell.

$stty /dev/com5 115200
Does not change the baud: 'unable to perform all requested operations'.
I have tried many variations on this syntax.
$stty does not even show the usb adaptor I am using on com5, but it does not let me change the baud rate on the ports that it does see.

Did you try looking for this problem.....

That post sounds like a different problem, but I did see a post talking about problems setting the baud.

Try a snapshot. You might be surprised.

I installed the latest version of cygwin & coreutils (5.90-1) on a different machine - it gives the same result, 'unable to perform all requested operations'.
I noticed that setup did not automatically choose the very lastest versions - maybe the mirror was not up-to-date on all dependancies?. Anyway, I had to manually select the 5.90-1 over the 5.2.1-5

At this point I am just trying to verify that what I am trying to do should work. Does '$stty /dev/com1 19200' change the baud for anyone in a shell or a script, or am I chasing my tail? If it works, what version does it work for?

Should stty let me change the baud in the shell?

Where is the default baud rate I am getting established, in windows, in cygwin, or in my usb adaptor driver?

thanks