Re: Bug: 1.5.18: 'This application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem'

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Glen A Coakley wrote:

> With cygwin version 1.5.18 I get the following error:
>
> 	'This application has failed to start because cygwin1.dll was
> 	not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem'
>
> under the following conditions:
> 	* A non-existent directory that is on a removable drive (e.g. a CD/DVD
> drive) is listed (in my case, listed first) in the PATH environment variable.
> 	* The current directory does not include a copy of cygwin1.dll
> 	* Any program that requires cygwin1.dll is executed that is NOT
> located in the same directory as a copy of cygwin1.dll.

I believe this may be an instance of the error I reported in
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00552.html>.  Basically, the
PATH conversion code stops whenever it encounters an invalid element in
the PATH.  In my case it was due to strict case checking, but it seems to
be a more general problem.  Basically, the Cygwin path conversion code
stops when it encounters a non-existent directory, and only returns the
part of the path it's converted so far.  Since in your case the invalid
directory comes first, you get an empty PATH.

A patch to turn off this behavior altogether is reasonably simple, but I'm
not sure it'll be accepted.  The main question is whether this behavior is
desired. Corinna or Chris, care to comment?
	Igor
P.S. Glen, for the future, please *attach* the output of "cygcheck -svr"
instead of including it inline.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu