Fw: Regression problem in cygwin1.5.18 and Perl 5.8.6/7

----- Forwarded by Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS on 2005-10-12 01:36 PM
-----

Jurgen Defurne

Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS@PHILIPS
cc

Subject
Re: Regression problem in cygwin1.5.18 and Perl 5.8.6/7
Classification
Unclassified

Lo and behold, using the 20051011 snapshot solves my problem.

Big pheew!

Thanks anyway for replying.

Jurgen

Jurgen Defurne <jurgen.defurne+FromInternet@philips.com>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
Please respond to
Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS@PHILIPS

cygwin@cygwin.com
cc

Subject
Re: Regression problem in cygwin1.5.18 and Perl 5.8.6/7
Classification

I have found time to install a fresh Cygwin setup
on a Windows 2000 machine, where I did not have
the previously described problem (three years of
production service).

I wrote a wrapper script which executes the

open $proc, "process|";
while (<$proc>) {
        print $_;
}
close $proc;

loop on an external program.

I used three external programs, one Perl script, one bash
script (both Cygwin related), and one using our much used
Continuus application (Windows command line program).

I had the following three configurations :

System 1           System 2            System 3
W2K3 Server        W2K Server          W2K Server
Cygwin 1.5.18-1    Cygwin 1.5.18.-1    Cygwin 1.5.11-1

On all systems, executing a Cygwin related program
gives the right behavior, that is, as soon as the
file descriptor is ready, a line is read and printed.

Only on system 3, which uses an older version of Cygwin,
this behaviour is correct for the Windows command line
program.

It also has nothing to do with the installation of
Continuus, because the installations on System 2 and 3
have been running for years without problems.

So, first of all, I will try with an upgrade of the
cygwin1.dll.

If this does not help, what can I do more to help you
help me ?

Regards,

Jurgen

"Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
Please respond to
cygwin@cygwin.com

Jurgen Defurne wrote:
> Repost. It is not that urgent, but it would be nice to get some
feedback,
> even if it is only to say that I should maybe upgrade to cygwin 1.5.19.

Well, you could always try that - <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>.  The
other
possibility is to upgrade your W2K/XP machine to the 1.5.18 version of the
cygwin package and see if you see the same behavior.  The information
you've
given so far doesn't eliminate the possibility of a W2K3 bug of some kind.

Holliston, MA 01746