Re: ssh tunnel and permission denied

On 13 oct. 05, at 00:30, Brian Dessent wrote:

Leonard Bouchet wrote:

# Step 1: open the ssh tunnel
$ ssh -fNL 139:myserver:139 user@myserver

I'm surprised that this works. Normally if you try this on a windows machine the port forwarding setup will fail because the local SMB service on that machine is already listening on 139, and so it's impossible for ssh to bind to that port. How are you getting around this? Have you tried adding verbosity (-vvv) to the ssh command to see if there are errors setting up the port forwarding?

I'm simply not sharing anything on the W98 box. On the XP box where I need the sharing facility, I'm planning to add a loopback card with another ip (procedure found here: <http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php>). Don't know yet how I will bind the forwarding to that network through cygwin, tough.

I'm quite sure the port forwarding works, though, because:

1. I tried to add verbosity, and it seems that everything is ok
debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
debug1: Local connections to LOCALHOST:139 forwarded to remote address myserver:139
debug3: channel_setup_fwd_listener: type 2 wildcard 0 addr NULL
debug1: Local forwarding listening on 127.0.0.1 port 139.
debug2: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug3: fd 4 is O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 0: new [port listener]

2. My lmhosts entry for 'myserver' is set to 127.0.0.1 and I can't get the next step to work if I don't forward the port according to step 1...

Any idea on what it's going on?

Thanks a log,

-leonard bouchet