Re: Accessibility and Cygwin setup.exe

Hi,

I am be no means any expert on this, but I feel I still can add a couple of comments. I looked into the accessibility functions on MS Windows some years ago. I was interested in running programs automatically (for testing purposes). It turned out that this was technically very difficult (but possible) with old windows controls, but that the newer controls had support for this - in exactly the form of accessibility features.

I believe Microsoft has put some effort in making all newer controls working with their accessibility framework (MSAA). So making basic accessibility work in MS Windows applications is possible by just using standard MS Windows controls. The keyboard support though, has to be made specific for every application, but the basic support for doing this is their and it is not difficult.

To my previous note about using wxWidgets I should add that it looks like not all wxWidget controls have accessibility support yet, but it is currently beeing worked on, see http://www.wxwidgets.org/access.htm.

Kind regards,
Lennart

Sean McMahon wrote:

hello! I'm one of the people who from time to time brings up the
inaccessibility of the setup.exe program of cygwin. Basically what I've been
told is that I'm free to work on it at any time. True but not helpfull because
I don't know where to begin because I don't know enough about windows
programming and don't know if these issues are due to a fault of the window
classes not being recognized by my screen reader or if the developers of setup
are using a wigit set that doesn't meet accessibility requirements. In short,
and I appologize for those who have already seen me bring this up before, the
view button should openup a standard listview controll containing 3state check
boxes similar to those found on the windows installation cd and in the setup
program in windows which allows you to add or remove some features. In this
control on windows hitting the spacebar toggles the state from not installed to
custom installed to fully installed. In other words, if you have some of the
components of the accessories group, the box in windows setup allows you to
remove accessories completely, install extra accessories components or keep the
existing level of components. The other controlls which need work are the radio
button for full vs. custom installation vs. all not installed. The radio
buttons for prev cur and exp distrobutions work fine. Finally, the check boxes
for add icon to desktop and add icon to start menu do not toggle with the space
bar.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>