Re: sshd refuses ssh connections

Marc Jourdeuil wrote:
[snip]
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key

This is because of...

> -rw-------   1 SYSTEM None     668 Oct 19 00:43 ssh_host_dsa_key
> -rw-------   1 SYSTEM None     528 Oct 19 00:43 ssh_host_key
> -rw-------   1 SYSTEM None     883 Oct 19 00:43 ssh_host_rsa_key

this, "rw SYSTEM", so nothing strange here.

> inetd is not running, should it? I have ssh in /etc/services. I have no
> /etc/inetd.conf file. Should I?

No.

> I wasn't running any firewall before. I restarted zonealarm, but that
> doesn't seem to be a factor right now.
> It might be later, when I try from another PC.

It will.

>>>ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

There are few possibilities for this, either sshd is not running or the firewall
prevents the connection... or your user doesn't exist for sshd (see end of message).

>>>  SYSTEM     728       1   ?  00:48:33 /usr/bin/cygrunsrv
>>>  SYSTEM     480     728   ?  00:48:33 /usr/sbin/sshd

This looks fine.

>>>  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
>>>  TCP    0.0.0.0:22             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

Also this, but just to be sure run "netstat -abn" and see if it really is sshd
(the PID will not match because it is a Windows PID).

>>>I can't edit
>>>/etc/ssh_config file using cygwin or win2k even though I have admin rights

This is strange, but you don't need to edit it.  Look at /etc/passwd, user marcj
should have group 513 (or the same group as Administrator, I'm not sure if this
changes from Windows version).  BTW did you set your passwd and group files as
per /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/login.README?

HTH
--
René Berber