RE: 1.5.18-1: cygwin.bat/bash fails after installing Cygwin

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Jason Fritz wrote:
>
> I don't know much about the implementation of Cygwin bash,
> but perhaps it has a bug and it's not setting HOME like it
> should?  I think from the info I posted above that it's
> clearly not working as intended.

Some more (possibly) interesting information:
I installed rxvt, and running rxvt -without- setting HOME does the right thing.  That is, it starts up a console window and bash runs without any errors.

On the other hand, I'm exaggerating by saying it "does the right thing."  If HOME isn't set, rxvt sets the font size and spacing to something very big, and the text onscreen looks ridiculous.  If HOME -is- set, on the other hand, rxvt's font size/spacing looks neat and small.  I wish I could provide details on what the font size actually is in both cases, but I don't know how to find that info.

Let me try to illustrate w/i the confines of ASCII :)
I f   H O M E   i s   n o t   s e t ,   i t   l o o k s   l i k e   t h i s
If HOME is set, it looks normal

Anyway, I'm a relative Cygwin newbie, but it seems to me that Cygwin tools might not behave nicely without manually setting HOME and PATH.

Take care and thanks for your help,
Jason