Re: SETUP: In-use files have been replaced

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:15:14PM +0100, Chris Taylor wrote:

Herb Martin wrote:

Eric Blake wrote:

Herb Martin wrote:

So what is the method to teach Setup that the file has been updated.

Have you tried simply uninstalling the Cygwin package? If you installed the new one into another location, you presumably don't need or want the other one. For most packages at least, SETUP doesn't automatically try to update it if you haven't installed it.

I didn't install Exim 4.54 into another location;
someone else mentioned an alternate locationa and
I (perhaps incorrectly) mentioned that I had downloaded
and compiled it FROM another location.

The "make install" was run normally and the specially
compiled (make options) is in the default (/usr/bin)
location.

All I wish to do is make Setup aware of this if it
is possible.

For now, I must (carefully) ensure that setup doesn't
overwrite my "good" version with the default.

If you reinstalled all of exim, you don't really need the cygwin version.. So you want to edit the /etc/setup/installed.db and give it an artificially high number, say 99.999, as the installed version of exim. This will stop cygwin from ever overwriting your installation of exim (unless the version ever gets higher than that.. unlikely in our lifetimes to be honest)

Are you sure?  I didn't think setup actually compared versions at all.
There's been discussion on cygwin-apps of updating packages to a
"lower" version number that is actually a neweer version, and people
didn't seem to think there would be any problem with that...

Well, I find that Eric tends to be pretty reliable, and I have to say that I cannot think of a logical reason why setup *wouldn't* use this method. It makes no sense not to - you'd have to add yet another set of information to setup for it to know if a version was newer. I sincerely doubt that the original setup developers obfuscated it *that* much. The version number is the best way of doing things.. If things change, generally the package name changes slightly as well, and you just make the new one replace the old...

(NB: I'm not 100% sure w/o referring to earlier messages that it was
Eric that originally posted this (in this thread), but I'm pretty sure
it was.)

Anyway.

Chris

--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world