Re: SETUP: In-use files have been replaced

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 12:34:30AM +0100, Chris Taylor wrote:
> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:15:14PM +0100, Chris Taylor wrote:
> >
> >>If you reinstalled all of exim, you don't really need the cygwin
> >>version.. So you want to edit the /etc/setup/installed.db and give it an
> >>artificially high number, say 99.999, as the installed version of exim.
> >>This will stop cygwin from ever overwriting your installation of exim
> >>(unless the version ever gets higher than that.. unlikely in our
> >>lifetimes to be honest)
> >

> >Are you sure?  I didn't think setup actually compared versions at all.
> >There's been discussion on cygwin-apps of updating packages to a
> >"lower" version number that is actually a neweer version, and people
> >didn't seem to think there would be any problem with that...
> >

> Well, I find that Eric tends to be pretty reliable, and I have to say
> that I cannot think of a logical reason why setup *wouldn't* use this
> method. It makes no sense not to - you'd have to add yet another set of
> information to setup for it to know if a version was newer.
> I sincerely doubt that the original setup developers obfuscated it
> *that* much. The version number is the best way of doing things.. If
> things change, generally the package name changes slightly as well, and
> you just make the new one replace the old...

Ah, but versions are strings, not numbers, and how to compare them isn't
always obvious.

> (NB: I'm not 100% sure w/o referring to earlier messages that it was
> Eric that originally posted this (in this thread), but I'm pretty sure
> it was.)

Yes, it was:

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 06:38:21AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Herb Martin on 10/18/2005 5:53 PM:
> > So what is the method to teach Setup that the file
> > has been updated.
>
> Why does setup need to be taught?  However, you may be looking for
> /etc/setup/installed.db; edit that for the package in question to tell
> setup.exe that the installed version has the same version number (or
> greater) than what setup.exe can offer from the mirrors.

But I don't think this will work; as an example, there was recently
a libIDL package that had a version 0.8.3 but a new version 0.5.17
was released to replace it; setup "correctly" removed the 0.8.3 and
installed the 0.5.17.

Also, note that setup in "curr" mode will always try to "upgrade"
exp packages back to the curr level.