Re: AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:26:36AM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> >* gtg793x@XXXX.XXXXXX.XXX (2005-10-26 00:45 +0100)
> >>
> >> Current XP computers I am trying to run this into give me: "Registry
> >> Editing has been Disabled by your administrator." even if I try to
> >> write to Current_User
> >>
> >> All I am trying to keep portable is the X server thus XWIN.exe is the
> >> only executable I have, the only one I execute. After running the X
> >> server as the background server I am tunneling the packets using
> >> Putty / Securecrt.
> >
> >Try "regedit /s" in a batch (instead of double clicking). This
> >sometimes works.
>
> Or, I dunno, if that works, you could just use "mount" and forget about
> regedit entirely.
>
> It's a crazy idea, I know.  I wonder why no one has thought of it before.

Yeah, what's with this "mount" thing, anyway?  I mean, it's got to be,
like, at least 10 *KILOBYTES* (gasp)!  I don't have that kind of space on
my flash drive!  And all this command-line scripting -- yuk, much better
to use a GUI like regedit!  It's not like the mounts aren't currently in
the registry, anyway...  Besides, importing a .reg file lets me bash right
over the existing settings without a care in the world -- mount actually
allows *saving* the current config, and who would want THAT?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu