Re: AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries

* Christopher Faylor (2005-10-26 19:26 +0100)
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 06:22:22PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>I did not know that I could successfully /use/ the mount program (for
>>creating mount tables when no mount tables are available and
>>"hklm/hkcu/cygnus solutions" doesn't exist.
>>
>>(When you try to run a cygwin app in that situation it normally
>>complains it cannot find cygwin1.dll and doesn't know where "/" is
>>Is that so hard to grasp?!)
>
> Yes, it is hard to grasp because it isn't true.  You're apparently
> making suppositions and drawing flawed inferences from them.  I don't
> know why you're insisting on arguing with people who know this stuff
> better than you do.
>
> You can remove all mounts and still run a program like "ls.exe" as long
> as cygwin1.dll is in the same directory as ls.exe or cygwin1.dll is in
> the path.

Okay, so when I _normally_ run apps like I _normally_ do ... they will

a) not know where /, /bin, /etc, etc.. is

and

b) error "cygwin1.dll not found" (unless my app is in /bin or
C:\cygwin\bin is in my path (which it is not by default...

Thanks.

> The cygwin mount table does not affect the loading of cygwin1.dll.

Did I ever say that? No.

>>>Wow.  You're going to just _love_ scripting, when you hear about it!
>>
>>Again: regedit has a "scripting/non-interactive mode".  And I am /Mr.
>>Scripting/ - in all humble modesty.
>
> You may be Mr. Scripting but you shouldn't be giving anyone advice about
> how to use cygwin because you obviously don't get it.

I did not give advice in this thread.

* Someone had a problem with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and I said he might
try HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead.

* Someone had a problem importing a .reg file and I said he might try
"regedit /s .reg" instead. That's all.