Re: Cygwin strange error after installing new package -- bash: /usr/bin/tr: No such file or directory

Lei Sun wrote:
On 10/27/05, Lei Sun <lei.sun <at> gmail <dot> com> wrote:
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

Hi,

The error message seems to be too general, google just returned tons of junk.

Story:
1. Fresh install of cygwin, chose some package, happily using it for like an hour or two
2. found that I need to install some additional package, so I stopped all cygwin process, and went back to setup.exe and did the install of the new package.
3. When I relaunch the cygwin, I see abnormal shell window with an error message: bash: /usr/bin/tr: No such file or directory

and Suddenly, the programs that I comipled doesn't work any more. I checked the PATH, they are all there, (except tr)

If 'tr' doesn't exist on your system, you have a bad installation.  'tr' comes
from the "coreutils" package, which you have installed.  So if you're actually
missing 'tr', then "coreutils" didn't install correctly for some reason or
has subsequently been corrupted.  You can check 'setup.log' and
'setup.log.full' for clues but you may just find it easier to uninstall and
reinstall 'coreutils'.

This happened to me for 3 times today, which really pisses me off. Would someone please help me.

Here is the cygcheck log:

We request that you *attach* the 'cygcheck' output rather than append it.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746