Re: 1.5.18+ resource leak?

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov  4 08:42, Brian Ford wrote:
> > ssh user@solaris_machine 'cd some_directory && tar cf -
> > some_other_directory' | tar xvf -
> >
> > These are large copies of several hundred megabytes.  Here was the result:
> >
> > tar some_file_path: Cannot write: Permission denied
> > 4 [main] -bash 2304 fork_copy: user/cygwin data pass 2 failed,
> > 0x610000..0x627000, done 0, windows pid 3132, Win 32 error 1450
>
> I've just copied 21 Gigs from a Linux box to a WIndows box using the
> exact same ssh|tar as you did.  There's nothing pointing to any kind of
> memory or handle leak while doing that and the operation terminated
> successfully.

Yes, I haven't seen anything I could identify either.  I think the key is
that these are mostly small files (a hundred thousand or so).  Copying
larger ones of the same volume doesn't seem to trigger the problem.

> Are you by any chance starting the X server from a service or something?

Nope.  I need to eliminate X as a variable.

> Maybe that's a problem induced by the heap allocation as Chris has
> already noted in a few threads.  Er... lemme see...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824422

Yes, I'll look into that, but I thought that was only applicable when lots
of processes were running.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer