Re: Old versions of setup.exe

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Scott Cegielski wrote:

Are older versions of setup.exe kept around?  Last time I installed
cygwin, I also installed cygnome and it would crash setup using the
current version at the time.  I had to finad version 2.340.2.5 of setup
and use that.

Well, it stands to reason, then, to try the newest version of setup, not embark on quests for older ones. Why not try the latest snapshot[*] and, only if that fails too, report this as a bug and grab an older version?

So far, setup has been "backwards compatable" with older "versions" of the Cygwin distribution. Trying the latest setup.exe is always advisable.

Is there an archive of these versions somewhere?

If the newest snapshot doesn't work for you, you can try grabbing the one you want from the "Cygwin Time Machine" (Google for it). Note that anything you get from there is unsupported on this list.

Unfortunately, the Cygwin Time Machine hasn't been archiving setup.exe (at least not consistently). The top of /pub/cygwin/ always has the latest setup.exe (and setup.ini), but the Time Machine hasn't been archiving it because there's no automatic way to extract the version number from it.

There is a "setup-snapshots" dir that has a smattering of older setup
versions, but keeping it up to date with the latest & versioning it
appropriately isn't something I've automated (yet).  Even
http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/ doesn't have the latest setup.exe.

I'd also like to point out that the setup source is not being distributed
anymore as part of the cygwin release.  The last source dist was
setup-2.427-1-src.tar.bz2 (back on 2004-04-25).  It would really be nice
if setup was treated as just another package and distributed as such, but
I understand the work involved and so I haven't actively pushed for this
until now.

Brian,
  How hard would it be to generate a source & binary dist each time a
"release" of setup is made?  Or, at the lease, could the version number
be stored as a string with some eye-catcher tag so that it can easily be
extracted?  Pretty please?

HTH,
	Igor
[*] The snapshots are usually at <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>.
However, in this case, the snapshot is temporarily residing at
<http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-1-alpha.exe>.  I've Cc'd
the cygwin-apps list for the following request to the setup maintainer:
Brian, all the patches in that version are already in CVS.  Can we get
a new setup snapshot out, please?

-- Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com> "Cats are just autistic Dogs" -- Dr. Tony Attwood