Re: Inetd running slow

I had a problem of slowness with inetd and telnetd: when connecting with telnet to my machine (even locally) it took much time to prompt for the user name.
I discovered that it was due to the SYSTEM user missing a home in /etc/passwd, i.e. when I had the problem the line in /etc/passwd was:

SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::

then I fixed it this way:

SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18:/tmp:

and the slowness went away (but don't ask me why: I don't know).

Ciao,

Danilo

Stephen Patterson wrote:
Hi all

I've installed inetutils & uw-imapd on cygwin, registered inet as a
windows XP service (which starts OK) and I'm running uw-imapd through
inetd. Inetd & uw-imap are slow to respond when I connect to them
locally.

Info from event viewer, application log on starting inetd
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( inetd ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: inetd : PID 4060 : `inetd' service
started.

Info from event viewer, application log on connecting to uw-imap
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( uw-imapd ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: uw-imapd : PID 4052 : imap service
init from 127.0.0.1.

Does anyone know what could be causing these messages?  I've added
cygwin's /usr/sbin and /bin to the system PATH (as mentioned on an
earlier post).